• A number of countries continue to witness rising number of new COVID-19 cases over the last few months. However coronavirus appears to be spreading much faster in India than elsewhere. Recently the average number of new daily cases in this country has increased to almost 100,000.
On Tuesday 278 856 new coronavirus cases were reported. Meanwhile 7-day average rose to 279 240. Source: Worldometers
• India reported 90,123 new infections on Wednesday while total number of coronavirus infections surpassed 5 million. India recorded its last million infections in just 12 days.
• Pfizer Inc (PFE.US) announced yesterday that participants were showing mostly mild-to-moderate side effects when given either the company's experimental coronavirus vaccine or a placebo in an ongoing late-stage study.
• Canada's health minister on Tuesday said she could not rule out another full lockdown if needed amid a surge in new COVID-19 cases. Canada reported 1,351 new cases on Monday, the highest single daily increase since beginning of May.
• The Netherlands recorded a daily record number of 1,379 new coronavirus infections on Tuesday.
The number of coronavirus patients hospitalized in the US has fallen to an average of 33,000 a day, down from an average of 40,000 a day the previous two weeks. Source: The COVID Tracking Project